Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Little Introduction

Welcome to the inaugural post of Dubo's Den. I'm your writer Mark Dubovec, and I'm talking to whoever's reading out there.

Dubo's Den began four years ago as a radio program on school airwaves when I was a freshman at Ohio Wesleyan University. During my tenure, I mostly played classic rock and heavy metal, and between songs, I'd ramble about whatever came to mind, but usually about movies.

Now, I'm out of school and can't shut up, so I started this blog (minus the songs). I'm a huge movie buff, so most entries will be film writeups with some analysis and recommendation thrown in. Don't look here for star ratings because I find them rather arbitrary and useless. Too often I'm conflicted about a movie and can't decide whether something deserves three stars or four. I'd rather get all my thoughts down, good and bad, and let you sort whether you should see it.

I'll do my best to add to the discussion of a particular motion picture. Otherwise, I won't bother. No one needs to read my take on any of the Star Wars movies or Citizen Kane. About a year and a half ago, I discovered the joy of NetFlix, which opened me to whole new realms of movies I otherwise would never have seen. My intent is to steer people toward such films and expand their film going experiences to something beyond the latest blockbuster. Other movie-related features will pop up as I get ideas.

Since I like to ramble, I'll include other topics as they come to mind. I graduated with a degree in English and journalism, so I might discuss a book I just read or current events. In August, I'm attending the American Carnage tour when it comes to Cleveland, so you'll get to read about my seeing Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament live.

I don't have much of a schedule. I'll try to get three posts each week, more if I'm particularly inspired. This week, to mark his recent passing and honor his body of work, I'll examine some Dennis Hopper films. First up, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment